Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship
The Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship (PTES) is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment and aptitude for a career path in K-12 teaching.
Each recipient will receive a $5000 scholarship voucher to use towards tuition in their teaching program at a designated BC post-secondary institution.
A student cannot win both a Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship and a BC Excellence Scholarship.
To apply, please complete the following application form and submit it to us along with all required documents by March 31, 2016.
- Application Form (PDF)
A student applying for this scholarship must meet basic eligibility requirements and be:
- In their graduation year with graduation to occur by August 31
- Eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma)
Selection Criteria for Applicants
We’re looking for applicants who are:
- Maintaining a ‘B’ average (73% or above) in all Grade 11 and 12 courses required for graduation
- with no more than one Grade 12 mark at a ‘C+’ level (67% or above)
- Showing evidence of commitment and aptitude for a teaching career in the K-12 system
Selection of winners will be finalized by August 31st and vouchers will be mailed to winners’ addresses on record in the first week of September.
The vouchers can be redeemed when the student is registered and attending an approved teacher education program at one of the following nine Faculties of Education:
- Simon Fraser University
- Trinity Western University
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of the Fraser Valley
- University of British Columbia
- University of British Columbia – Okanagan
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Victoria
- Vancouver Island University
Students must redeem their voucher within 7 years of their high school graduation (expiry date is on the voucher).
When you submit your application, make sure you include:
- Two references – one from a community person and one from someone at your
- A resume
- A written response that outlines why you want to be a teacher