The Horatio Alger Association of Canada provides $650,000 annually in need-based scholarship support for deserving students in all Canadian provinces and territories.
Scholarships of up to $10,000 are awarded to full-time students in their terminal year of high school with financial need (family income under $55,000) who have demonstrated integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity, a commitment to pursue a post-secondary education, a desire to contribute to society, and a good academic record.
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Canadian Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time in high school and progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2016 with plans to enter a post-secondary institution no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a degree at a post-secondary institution (in Quebec a three year vocational program or a two year preparatory program followed by a university degree are acceptable)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or less annual net income per family is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade percentage of 65
- Attend high school and reside in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen
Applicants for both the Entrepreneurial and Canadian Scholarships are required to fill out only ONE application. The Association will use the one application to consider you for all programs for which you are eligible.
The application for National Entrepreneurial and Canadian scholarships is now open and will close October 25, 2015. Please visit the individual scholarship pages to review the eligibility criteria and apply.
*Please note – whenever a deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is extended to 5:00pm EASTERN TIME on the next business day